August 18, 2010

Home Ec

I remember saying not long ago that school was a thing of the past for me. Well, apparently I lied. Today I enrolled myself in The Freckled Nest's Home Ec class to learn to sew. Tis' true. I can hardly believe it myself. And, the crazy part is that I am really, really, reallllly excited about it.

Photobucket

What sparked this new interest in wanting to learn to sew? Yeah, I have no idea. I mean, I grew up watching my mom sew, and it never interested me much--until just a few days ago. Now all I can talk about is sewing and this class I signed up for. Hmmm.

Anyway, I wanted to share a little bit about the class with you because our lovely teachers have extended the registration sign up until today {August 19}. So, if you are like me {no sewing experience whatsoever} and have an interest in learning to sew, this class is probably a good place to start. Plus, we could be classmates. How fun would that be?

Home Ec is an online sewing class for beginners and those wanting to develop their sewing skills. It is a 'take it at your own pace' kind of class, and it includes three guides, 26 totally useful projects that each teach you a new sewing skill, and even a Tips lesson on how to invent and adapt projects of your own. The website is full of useful resources and covers topics like how to work your sewing machine {that would be a good place to start!}, hemming, troubleshooting problems, how to take care of your machine, and how to find your way around a fabric store.

Are you sold yet?

Here are a few of the cute sewing projects lined up that I'm most excited about:

Photobucket

I can hardly wait to get started and show you my finished projects! But promise me one thing, will ya? Promise you will tell me how beautiful they look even if you think they look like total crap, okay? Thanks.

If you are interested in being my classmate, then hurry up and get registered. They will be closing registration soon. Note: This is a one time class; they will not be offering it again.

Click here to learn more about Home Ec.

Photobucket

p.s. Did you miss my recent tutorial on rounding the corners of your pictures? Click here to read it. And for those of you who followed the tutorial, I want to see some rounded corners! Leave me a link to your blog in the comments below so I can check them out.

14 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Libby! I'm totally going to try this (in all my spare time). My Mom's old machine sits, waiting...and I have no clue. This might help!

PS - Check out my blog for a week's worth of contests! www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com

Linda P. said...

Go, Libby, go! It's nice to be really excited about doing something, isn't it? I can't wait to see all the lovely things you make. I promise to ooh and ahh. No matter what.: D You won't find ME casting any "that looks terrible" stones. No sirree. Sewing is not one of my talents, so I will stand in total awe over the awesomeness of your projects. Totally. will. Have fun!

Hugs!

Dena said...

I think I might do this with you!

Beth Dotolo said...

How fun!!! As soon as I find some free time I would love to do this!! looking forward to seeing you handiwork... :)

Two Little Tots said...

I love this! And I think I might sign up too...you can never know too much about how to sew something. And I typically just make it up when I don't know what I am doing.

I can't wait to see what you make.

The Bonjour Four said...

Yay! Hope all of you do join! Will be fun!

Tyler said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog.. tried to email ya back but it was a noreply. Anywhoodles.. I did not get my corners figured out.. I got stuck at the part of the radius.. for some reason on my PSE8 I can NOT find the radius for the life of me! I followed it pretty easily up to that point though. If you have any other hints on finding the radius feel free to email me sparklechck2102@yahoo.com Thanks so much girlie! I did think the tutorial was great

mel @ the larson lingo said...

ohh.....this is enticing! I got a sewing machine for Christmas last year & I am pretty clueless. I have made a couple things, but I need help! I am going to think about this today...not sure if I have time to do this with school starting, etc...but it sounds great!

The Bonjour Four said...

Also, for those of you who think you might not have time with school starting up, etc.., you can access the projects/information for a whole year! So, you have plenty of time to do each project and not feel rushed to complete them. Just thought I'd share that little piece of information with you all :)

Prairie said...

No time for a sewing class, but if you pick up any simple tips, would love to hear about them! Love all your tutorial blogs, even the ones I can't use (don't have Photoshop - but someday!). Keep it up chicka!

mom said...

"Sew" excited! (ha ha)....love you.

Oh, My Darling said...

Ah, fun! I've been on the fence about joining this class!

The Christians said...

How fun! Would love to do it...hmmm... Except for the whole having time thing. They can't not offer this class again! Can't wait to see your projects!

Anonymous said...

Hey I just followed you here from the Home Ec flickr group and I LOVE your blog! It's beautifully styled and I think you're a great writer :)

I also joined the class and had just learned to sew about a week before and now I'm also in love with sewing! I\m on vacation now and won't be able to sew until next week and it's killing me. Haha isn't it an amazing feeling?

Looking forward to seeing more of your projects :)

-Meagan